This weekend preview for July 17-19, 2015 is brought to you by RiverStone Health
- Movies in the Park times two! Friday, July 17, dusk @ Castle Rock Park. The Box Trolls. AND Saturday, July 18, dusk @ Pioneer Park. Big Sky State Games Movie Night, The Sandlot. Don’t forget your blankets and chairs! billingskiwanis.org/.
- Saturday, July 18, 7-10:30am @ Pioneer Park, tennis courts. BTA Pancake Breakfast – Cost $5/plate, $15/family of four. (Includes, coffee, juice, a short stack, and sausage). Proceeds benefit Billings Tennis Association.
- Saturday, July 18, 7pm-2am @ In Good Glazes. Paint ‘Til You Faint. A not to be missed PTYF – they’re having a BBQ! $10 plus the cost of your projects for a night of fun! Call 294-4278 to reserve your spot.
Big Sky State Games
Admission: $5/adult, Free for children 6 and younger
For this one weekend in July the Big Sky State Games draws athletes from all over the state (and beyond) for its 30th year of Olympic-style competition. An incredible array of events will offer plenty of entertainment for non-participants. Here are a few highlights for the 30th Anniversary:
- Gates open at 5:30pm at Pioneer Park and the first 500 people through the gate eat free! Activities include a fun fair, inflatables, climbing wall, XPogo, booths, and more!
- SOAKED, 6:15pm – A 2-mile (non-timed) crazy fun water walk/run for all ages and paces. Info/Register: https://bigskygames.org/sports/soaked.
- Ceremony officially begins at 7:30pm – Parade of Athletes, entertainment, and torch lighting by Olympic Gold Medalist High Jumper, Dick Fosbury.
For the 1st Time:
- Big Sky State Games will offer official 10 and Under Tennis as part of the tournament, using specialized equipment and shorter courts. BGSS will offer a free clinic to introduce new players before tourney play begins.
- Outdoor Movie Night – July 18, 9pm @ Pioneer Park. Sponsored by Firefly Outdoor Movie Company, movie TBD.
Opening day Yellowstone Valley Farmers’ Market
Saturday, July 18, 2015 @ 8am-12pm
It’s the weekend happening oh so many have been waiting for – opening day of the Yellowstone Valley Farmers’ Market! The starting bell to sell rings at 8am and selling goes until noon – this Saturday and ever Saturday until October 3. The Yellowstone Valley Farmers Market is the biggest in the state of Montana, offering fresh produce, fruits, herbs, flowers, plants, frozen meats, and a variety of foods to enjoy while shopping or to take home. You can also expect various types of entertainment as you peruse the delectable offerings.
And while you’re downtown, you’ll also want to check out this new addition:
Minnesota Avenue Open Air Market will run every Saturday alongside Yellowstone Valley Farmers’ Market to help revitalize Minnesota Avenue. (Held in a parking lot at Minnesota Avenue and South 27th Street). This market is full of local vendors that create crafts, re-purposed furniture and decor, art, and food. Open Air Market will run every Saturday from 8am-3pm until August 29.
Cabela’s @ Cooney Reservoir, North Shore
Cooney Recreation Day
Saturday, July 18 @ 10am-3pm
Cabela’s invites you to join them outside the walls of their store for a day of fun in the sun on the water at Cooney Reservoir. You’ll have the opportunity to learn more about the water sports popular to the park while also trying out some of the equipment! Whether you’re new to kayaking, paddle boarding or canoeing or if your old equipment needs updating, you’ll have the opportunity to try before you buy. Demo paddle boards, kayaks, and canoes will be supplied by Cabela’s for you to dabble your toe in the water with.
Look for a display booth to be set up on the North Shore day use area. Cooney Reservoir is located eight miles west of Roberts, MT. For more information contact Glennis Cates at 406-445-2326 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Family Fun Day
Sunday, July 19 @ 10am-4pm
There’s fun for the family every day at ZooMontana, but for this Sunday in July it’s actually Family Fun Day! A day of reduced admissions ($2 all day), food, inflatables, and all kinds of fun! Families, be on the lookout for a wandering magician and appearances by Spider-Man as you take part in the activities, games, and nibble on the food before moseying along the zoo grounds. And in case you haven’t heard, here are a few of the animals that are newly in residence: Daisy-new to the Red Panda exhibit, three baby otters, baby Big Horns, and more! And if you need to cool off, you’ll definitely want to wander inside and check out the Living Wall. Incredible!